Community & Other Plans
Ask local officials about your community’s disaster plans.
Ask local officials the following questions about your community’s disaster/emergency plans.
- What hazards are most likely?
- How will I get alerts and warnings?
- What is the advice and plans for sheltering and evacuation for the hazards that may impact the community?
- Are there emergency contact numbers I should have for different situations?
- Are there opportunities for preparedness education and training?
- Does my community have a plan?
- Can I obtain a copy?
- What does the plan contain?
- How often are plans updated?
- What should I know about this plan?
- What hazards does it cover?
In addition to finding out about you community’s plan, it is important that you know what plans are in place for you workplace, your children’s school or day care center and any places you frequent like entertainment and sporting events, recreation areas, shopping centers and places of worship.
Ask your employer about workplace policies regarding disasters and emergencies, including understanding how you will be provided emergency and warning information, evacuation and shelter plans.
Contact your children’s school or day care center to discuss their disaster procedures.